Matthew 8: 1 When He had come down from the mountain, great multitudes followed Him. 2 And behold, a leper came and worshiped Him, saying, “Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.” 3 Then Jesus put out His hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.” Immediately his leprosy was cleansed. NKJV
You can only get to your destination if you know your location. The man with leprosy worshipped Jesus before he could get anything from him. He made himself a conductor so that the power of God will be able to flow.
German Poet Herman Hesse said “If you hate a person, you hate something in him that is part of yourself. What isn’t part of ourselves do not disturb us. We have a tendency to react negatively to the dark shadows in others that also reside in ourselves.”
A major reason why Jesus Christ was able to touch the leper can be answered from the statement of Herman Hesse. Due to the fact that leprosy was not part of him, he was not disturbed, he did not react negatively to him because there was no dark shadow in him.
Hurdles Against the Man
- He was not expected to speak but when he saw Jesus he said shyly without conviction or confidence that if Jesus wants to he can make him clean.
- He spoke quietly because he did not want anybody else to hear him speaking as this may result in an untimely death.
- This statement also shows that the man knew that Jesus has the power but it is not likely that he will use the power on him.
- He had been rebuffed and ridiculed and ultimately turned to a no class citizen. His opinion did not matter.
- He was an outcast a persona non grata (an undesirable element). He was looked at with suspicion.
- He did not know what love is because nobody dared embrace him. He was a loner. He had been abandoned by family and friends. If he ever had any.
A connection between two conductors (Jesus from heaven and the Leper as he worshipped Jesus) was established and current flowed.
Our Worship paves the way for The Contact—that will establish our destinies.
Why the Contact by Jesus?
To show that He is the Truth
To show how God sees him
To show His ability to stop the disease
To show his willingness to help
To transfer blessing
Hindrance to Worship: