Covenant Chapel seeks a Session Musician with skills in playing the saxophone and flute in the church choir. Located at Located at 66 Toro Road, Toronto, Ontario, Covenant Chapel has a mandate to redeem destinies and restore dominion. Worship, both modern and traditional, is an important part of the spiritual life Covenant Chapel. The Session Musician II will collaborate with the Head of the Choir to help add creativity to all worship sessions.
- Practice and play with the choir during rehearsals, scheduled church programs, special events like wedding, birthdays and others.
- Work with the music director and choir leader on a weekly basis to plan and specific music that the choir will minister to the congregation.
- Play special anthems and other music based on themes provided by the Session Musician I or the Choir leader.
- Encourage congregants (both old and young) to develop and share their musical talents, especially with the musical instruments.
- Work collaboratively with the Mass Choir for special occasions (annual convention, Easter and Christmas seasons)
- Be available to coach and mentor the youth in learning and honing their skills on the flutes, clarinet, saxophone and other instruments.
This is a full time position; the successful candidate will be available to play at least 48 Sundays out of 52 Sundays of the year subject to (2 weeks) annual vacation for which proper notice must be given ahead to the church. This is a 2-year contract based position with a possibility of becoming indeterminate
Work hours: 30 hours/week; must be available for overtime as required; work on weekends required
Location of work: Toronto, Ontario
Required Education, Skills and Qualifications
- Mastery of the saxophone to accompany congregation, choir, soloists
- Candidate must be able to play one additional instrument apart from the saxophone
- Ability to play a wide variety of musical genres, including African praise
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong leadership abilities
- Previous experience of working with diverse or multicultural congregation is a distinct advantage.
- Ability to blend the talking drum into praise will be a distinct advantage but not a prerequisite
- A college diploma or University degree
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in playing flute, clarinet, saxophone or other instruments
All interested candidates should address their application for employment letters along with updated resume / capability statement to:
Head of Human Resources,
66 Toro Road