“In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near you.” (Is. 54:14 NKJV)
Righteousness is another name for God. He is called Jehovah Tsidkenu—The Lord our Righteousness. “In His days Judah shall be saved and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is His name by which He shall be called: The Lord Our Righteousness.” (Jeremiah 23:6, TAB)
Righteousness is simple obedience. Agreeing with what God has said. Righteousness operates in conjunction with faith. You need faith to operate in righteousness because righteousness is totally agreeing with God with respect to what he has said even when it does not seem apparent or the likelihood of it becoming a reality is slim or even nil.
The Bible tells us that, Abraham believed God and it was put in his account as righteousness. Your faith in God deposits righteousness in your account because with righteousness you can purchase anything.
Righteousness can be defined in simple terms as:
1. What brings about a divine fulfillment
Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
2. What speaks on your behalf
Genesis 30: 33 So shall my righteousness answer for me in time to come, when it shall come for my hire before thy face: every one that is not speckled and spotted among the goats, and brown among the sheep, that shall be counted stolen with me.34 And Laban said, Behold, I would it might be according to thy word.
What allows you to possess your possession
Deuteronomy 9:5 Speak not thou in thine heart, after that the LORD thy God hath cast them out from before thee, saying, For my righteousness the LORD hath brought me in to possess this land: but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD doth drive them out from before thee.
What gives an inheritance
Romans 4:13: For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
What delivers from the jaws of death
Proverbs 10:2 Treasures of wickedness profit nothing: but righteousness delivereth from death.
What gives wholesome peace
Isaiah 32:17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
As a bona fide child of God, you have received the gift of righteousness that enables you to reign in all circumstances of life. You therefore need to shun those things that want to derail your destiny.
- Behind You:
- The Past— “No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead” (Philippians 3:13, NLT)
- The Pressures—“Now’s your opportunity!” David’s men whispered to him. “Today the Lord is telling you, ‘I will certainly put your enemy into your power, to do with as you wish.’” So David crept forward and cut off a piece of the hem of Saul’s robe. But then David’s conscience began bothering him because he had cut Saul’s robe.” (1 Samuel 24:4-5, NLT)
- The Problems—that you are facing and it seems as if God has not done anything about them. You now think God will not do anything and you begin to misbehave and cut corners.
- Beside You:
- The Cycles—Examine the cycles that you are perpetuating in your destiny. Are you cold today and hot tomorrow? Today you pay your tithe tomorrow you do not. Such cycles keeps you in bondage. Definitely you will be telling God that you do not belong to him by such actions. Galatians 5:19-21
- The Complacency—Do not allow your achievements to get into your mind. The good is always the enemy of the best. Format the hard drive of your mind to strive for better things. Do a mind renewal. Romans 12:2
- The Carnality— “You were indeed called to be free, brothers and sisters. Don’t turn this freedom into an excuse for your corrupt nature to express itself. Rather, serve each other through love.” (Galatians 5:13, GWT) Carnality is all around but ensure you guard the window to your mind.
- Beneath You
- Sin—Romans 6:1-2, 1 John 3:9
- Satan—Romans 16:20
- Seduction—1 John 2:26-28
- Before You
- The Choices—Deuteronomy 30:19
- The Conquest
- The Crown
What are your obligations?
- Come out of darkness—“ And the children of Israel, which were come again out of captivity, and all such as had separated themselves unto them from the filthiness of the heathen of the land, to seek the Lord God of Israel, did eat,” (Ezra 6:21, KJV)
- Be in the Light—John 15
- Thank God: When the Bible advises that we should not forget all his benefits, the only way to really do that is by an act of appreciation and thanksgiving. “Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:” (Psalm 103:1-2, KJV).