“Now it happened on another Sabbath, also, that He entered the synagogue and taught. And a man was there whose right hand was withered. So the scribes and Pharisees watched Him closely, whether He would heal on the Sabbath, that they might find an accusation against Him. But He knew their thoughts, and said to the man who had the withered hand, “Arise and stand here.” And he arose and stood… He said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” And he did so, and his hand was restored as whole as the other..” (Luke 6:6-10, NKJV)
“And He said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel;[a] for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed… Just as he crossed over Penuel[ the sun rose on him, …” (Genesis 32:28; 31a, NKJV)
There are two key words in the theme for today: New and Dawn. Dawn means the advent, beginning, to perceive, daybreak, sunrise, etc. By His grace, something new is rising, beginning and breaking forth in your destiny in the mighty name of Jesus.
The text begins by letting us know what was about to unfold happened on another Sabbath. In the previous Sabbath they accused Jesus but it did not stop what he had to do. The accusations of men can never stop the activity of God instead it will accelerate it.
In this Sabbath, they were monitoring Jesus to accuse him but it also did not stop what He had purposed to do. Please note that no matter the multitude of gang up against your destiny, it will not stop the marvelous glory that God predestined for you. The ones monitoring you are the ones that will eventually market you when the glory shows up.
There was a no name man that Jesus singled out—it could be anybody. By His grace, Jesus will single you out for blessings today. You are next on the line for a miracle in the mighty name of Jesus.
Arise and Stand there could be perceived as a punishment or ridicule for the non-discerning but with prompt obedience it could lead to perfection and restoration. You will arise and stand out amongst your peers.
It is a challenge to have a hand withered but it is double problem when the right hand is withered. The right hand is symbolically for:
- Defense: You use the right hand to smash the enemy into pieces. “Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in power. Your right hand, O Lord, smashes the enemy.” (Exodus 15:6, NLT)
It is with your right hand that you speak to the elements including the land and they obey. “You stretched out Your right hand; The earth swallowed them.” (Exodus 15:12, NKJV)
When you look at Psalm 121:5, you see something very significant, “The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade at your right hand.” It is at your right hand that the Almighty provides a shade but this man had a withered one. No right hand no keeper. No right hand no defense. He becomes a target for the relentless assault of the enemy.
Every form of calamity, illness, and disappointments can enter at will because there is nobody standing guard at the gate of his life. In any way that your right hand is spiritually withered there will be a new dawn today.
- Direction: When a destiny is directed, there is an end to trial and error. Precision of purpose becomes the order of the day. You are always on time to receive what heaven has in store for your destiny.
“Nevertheless I am continually with you; you hold me by my right hand. You will guide me with your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory.” (Psalm 73:23-24, NKJV)
The right hand is the hand of guidance. This man we can say had no direction in life. This is what you see happening in some people, they try miracle today and oracle tomorrow. They start business today tomorrow they are looking for a job.
In any way that your right hand of guidance is withered, it shall be restored today. The right hand ensures that you do not walk in darkness and sets a law that nobody can question. “…At His right hand was a flaming fire, a law, for them.” (Deuteronomy 33:2, TAB)
You can be rest assured that wherever the Almighty God leads you to, even if there are obstacles there he will make a way through them. (Red Sea and Valley of Dry bones)
“Even there your hand shall lead me, And your right hand shall hold me.” (Psalm 139:10, NKJV)
If he the Almighty takes you to it, He will take you through it. Throughout the travail of Joseph even in prison, the right hand of the Almighty held him so that he enjoyed favour. By divine direction, you will begin to enjoy favour.
- Demarcation: The right hand ensures that what affects others do not come near you. There is an invisible line that acts as a boundary. You can actually say that the right hand enforces your touch not status. “A thousand may fall at your side, and ten thousand at your right hand; but it shall not come near you.” (Psalm 91:7, NKJV)
Ten thousand falling at the right hand demonstrates not only the power resident in the right hand but most importantly the premium that the enemy places on the right hand to attack it.
No matter how many are gathered against your destiny, as they come so shall they fall in the mighty name of Jesus.
- Distinction / Wisdom: The right hand is what causes a man to be distinct because wisdom bestows distinction. “A wise man’s heart is at his right hand, but a fool’s heart at his left.” (Ecclesiastes 10:2, NKJV)
- Down pour of Blessing: “And Joseph took them both, Ephraim with his right hand toward Israel’s left hand, and Manasseh with his left hand toward Israel’s right hand, and brought them near him. Then Israel stretched out his right hand and laid it on Ephraim’s head, who was the younger, and his left hand on Manasseh’s head, guiding his hands knowingly, for Manasseh was the firstborn.” (Genesis 48:13-14, NKJV)
What you have to do—your role in receiving a New Dawn?
- Must not be ashamed of God—Ephesians 6:10
- Ready to declare the name of the Lord—Psalm 68:11
- Ready to stand alone for God—Elijah and the prophets of Baal (1 Kings 18:
- Exhibit Faith
- Totally Submitted