“So the stone was moved away from the entrance of the tomb. Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you for hearing me. I’ve known that you always hear me. However, I’ve said this so that the crowd standing around me will believe that you sent me.” (John 11:41-42, TAB)
As beneficiaries of the New Covenant and members of the commonwealth of Israel, our thanksgiving should be resounding. Sometimes we are so much engrossed by what God has not done and we forget all the wonderful things that He has done. We go out and we come back in safely, we sleep and we wake up but our Keeper does not sleep nor slumber and this has not affected His effectiveness.
What is Thanksgiving?
- It is an act that gives God pleasure: When you look at the life of Paul, you can definitely conclude that he was a man addicted to thanksgiving. He said, In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18, TAB)
“For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.” (Hebrews 10:36, TAB)
- It is the balanced diet of the Almighty God: ““If I were hungry, I would not tell you; For the world is Mine, and all its fullness.Will I eat the flesh of bulls, Or drink the blood of goats? Offer to God thanksgiving, And pay your vows to the Most High.” (Psalm 50:13-15, NKJV)
- It is the passcode to the abode of God: “Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.” (Psalm 100:4, KJV)
- It is that which allows us to enjoy the goodness of heaven: “By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.” (Hebrew 13:15, KJV)
“From the fruit of his words a man shall be satisfied with good,” (Proverbs 12:14, TAB)
“A good man eats good from the fruit of his mouth,” (Proverbs 13:2, TAB)
- You have divine security with thanksgiving: “It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O Most High: To shew forth thy lovingkindness in the morning, and thy faithfulness every night,” (Psalm 92:1-2, KJV)
“And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good?” (1 Peter 3:13, KJV)
Therefore, watch what you say.
“Say unto them, As truly as I live, saith the Lord, as ye have spoken in mine ears, so will I do to you:” (Numbers 14:28, KJV)
“For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.” (Matthew 12:37, KJV)
“Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.” (Proverbs 18:21, KJV)
When the Bible advises that we should not forget all his benefits, the only way to really do that is by an act of appreciation and thanksgiving. “Bless the Lord, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:” (Psalm 103:1-2, KJV)
When you are not grateful, you are an ingrate and God does not love such people.
“ How oft did they provoke him in the wilderness, and grieve him in the desert! Yea, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel. They remembered not his hand, nor the day when he delivered them from the enemy.” (Psalm 78:40-42, KJV)
“Because they regard not the works of the Lord, nor the operation of his hands, he shall destroy them, and not build them up.” (Psalm 28:5, KJV)
You need to thank him continually for him to bless you continually. “By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.” (Hebrews 13:15, KJV)
- Breaks Barriers and Prejudice—“For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:” (1 Timothy 4:4, KJV)
- Opens the gates into His Presence—“Enter into his gates with thanksgiving…” (Psalm 100:4a, KJV)
“Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.” (Psalm 95:2, KJV)
- An Activator of His Blessings—“Thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will bring again the captivity of Jacob’s tents, and have mercy on his dwellingplaces; and the city shall be builded upon her own heap, and the palace shall remain after the manner thereof. And out of them shall proceed thanksgiving and the voice of them that make merry: and I will multiply them, and they shall not be few; I will also glorify them, and they shall not be small. Their children also shall be as aforetime, and their congregation shall be established before me, and I will punish all that oppress them.” (Jeremiah 30:18-20, KJV)
- Redeems Destiny—“After Jesus had said this, he shouted as loudly as he could, “Lazarus, come out!” The dead man came out.” (John 11:42-43a, GWT)
- Restores Dominion—“ Strips of cloth were wound around his feet and hands, and his face was wrapped with a handkerchief. Jesus told them, “Free Lazarus, and let him go.” (Jeremiah 11:43b-44, GWT)